Word Usage Tips – tips on correct word usage, In this article you are going to learn (Know, Believe, Think, Suppose, Trust and Hope) and their usage in sentences.
- To know is used with reference to some ascertained fact; as ‘I know that the earth moves round the sun’.
- To believe implies faith; as ‘I believe in the goodness of God’.
- To think consider
- To suppose means to assume or presume.
- To trust means to hope. ‘You will soon be better, I trust’.
- To hope anticipate an event
These verbs are often confused with one another by Pakistani students as the following
examples will show:-
|My aunt is very ill, I hope she will soon die.||My aunt is very ill, I expect she will soon die.|
|You will be going to the hills soon, I think.||You will be going to the hills soon, I suppose.|
|I believe you are better now.||I hope or trust you are better now.|
|I expect you will give me a good certificate.||I hope you will give me a good certificate.|